|Organization||Doctors Without Borders|
|Location||Khartoum with fields visits|
|Reports to (Hierarchical)||Mental Health Supervisor|
|Reports to (Functional)||Medical Activities Manager / Project Medical Referent-MTL-MFP|
|Deadline for the application||27/08/2021|
Perform counseling and/or education sessions to patients, following different medical and mental health MSF protocols and procedures, in order to improve their psychosocial condition.
- Identify the psychosocial, socio-economic, and administrative needs of patients
- Actively promote the availability of counseling services and carry out, individual or in group counseling, basic psycho-educational sessions, to patients, their families (when needed), in order to alleviate their psychosocial difficulties within the project scope.
- Refer patients to other specialists or other institutions for further assistance, when necessary in order to propose the best support available.
- Participate in the creation of any material needed for counseling activities and look after it,
- Keep files and statistics of daily activities and participate in team meetings to share experiences and discuss special cases with other counselors, preserving the confidentiality
- Inform line manager of any problem of any kind arising during the day-to-day activities.
- Take an active part in training, supervisions, and support the activities manager when necessary in doing sensitization for MSF staff or external partners about mental health /psychosocial issues.
- Discuss difficulties and problems in counseling with a supervisor.
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- Participate in assessments conducted and identify the mental health gaps in the assessed population.
- Support the PMR in the definition of mental health component orientation and implementation.
- In close collaboration with MAM and support of PMR implement and supervise mental health activities implementation and integration in PHC medical activities during emergency interventions.
- Deliver Mental health Promotion & Psychoeducation sessions to target Populations according to the project ambitions. Will also include outreach awareness sessions about consequences of emergency on people mental health and coping mechanisms, perceptions, and beliefs.
- Reinforce health awareness to the staff supporting Emergency intervention (psychological first aid, communication skills)
- Psychological consultations: attend cases need MHPSS individual Counselling and group sessions including Sexual violence cases
- Establish network and with actors intervening in the emergency on different levels: Medical Teams, health centers, hospitals, mental health units, health promoters, Distribution Teams (NFI’s, Food, etc.) Associations, NGOs, Formal & informal community leaders, religious leaders, and traditional healers, to ensure referral of people identified with mental health needs MSF MH service.
- Community mobilization and support:
- Select a group of people from the community who are interested in doing social work and if possible, who have experience in health, education or social areas to become psychosocial CW (community workers): information on MH, information on MSF services, the link between population and MSF…
- Support Community Initiatives, maintenance of traditional practices and rituals, sources of social and family support, and collective coping mechanisms.
- Facilitate the participation of vulnerable and marginalized people.
- Distraction and occupation activities
- Activities for children, adolescents in order to allow them to ventilate their traumatic experiences and to retake some social activities while involving parents in the organization.
- Cultural activities like traditional dance, exhibitions, drumming, music concerts, street theatre, and storytelling (give participants a sense of belonging and continuity)
- Physical exercise such as soccer, dancing, clowning, and acrobatics (improves relaxation and promotes social interaction)
- Occupation activities like for instance camp cleaning, jointly cooking, teaching children, laboring the land, repairing or maintenance, and caring for vulnerable people (useful for increasing ownership and improving self-control)
- Identify and support community leaders in their social tasks through:
- Training about leadership, community awareness, spreading info, decision-making, needs analysis, strengthening participation in the community, psychological first aid, referrals
- Basic practical training about project proposal and management (identification, implementation, monitoring, and reporting)
- Direct emotional support to leaders
- Cooperation and networking (Networking is essential for understanding and addressing the needs of a local population.)
- Establishing and maintaining relations of trust with relevant members of a population, including community and spiritual leaders, representatives of vulnerable groups.
- Establishing collaboration, referrals with local and international NGOs, institutions providing different types of services (economical, educational, social.)
- Protection, advocacy, and testimonies:
- Follow and respect the essential general recommendations include them in training and meetings
- Establish mechanisms for the monitoring and reporting of abuse and exploitation
- Capacity Building
- Identify any need for training of collaborating people (MOH staff, staff working with other partners, etc.….) during the intervention and propose a training plan
- Take any opportunity of training to empower people (one job training, case discussion, etc.…..)
- Data and reporting
- Support the PMR in the monthly report of the mental health activities in SERT
- Contribute actively in the intervention closer report
- Ensure the individual data MH data entry in HMIS in collaboration with the Data supervisor
- Report directly to PMR any abnormality observed in data analysis
- Education: Bachelor or Diploma of psychology
- Experience: 1- year experience essential. Experience with NGO desirable.
- Languages: Local language essential. Mission language desirable.
- Competencies Results: teamwork, flexibility, commitment, service orientation
How To Apply
- Interested candidates are requested to send their CV & copy of educational and experience certificates to the HAC Labour office, Khartoum
- Qualified Females encouraged to apply
About Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)
Médecins Sans Frontières – Switzerland (MSF-Switzerland) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides emergency medical assistance to populations in danger. The Head Office is located in Geneva. The priority of MSF is to assure access to health care for the most vulnerable people. MSF is also specialized in emergency interventions in case of conflicts, disasters, and epidemics. Thanks to its important technical means, MSF can play an important role in the research and operational development of solutions for public health problems, helped by its presence on the sites.
Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
For jobs from Doctors Without Borders visit: MSF Jobs Page