|DUTY STATION||National COOPI Khartoum|
|Gross Salary||800 to 1,000 Euro per month based on qualifications and experience, including benefits required by Sudanese law|
|Dury Starting date||ASAP after selection|
Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an international Italian NGO established in 1965. Since its establishment, COOPI has been undertaking activities to help and empower the poor and needy in different countries. COOPI Sudan started its operation in 2004 and has been primarily implementing emergency, relief and early recovery programs in water hygiene and sanitation, food security and livelihood, nutrition and protection sectors.
COOPI is currently implementing several projects in North Darfur, Kassala and Khartoum in the sectors of WASH, Food Security and Livelihood, Climate Change adaptation, Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and Refugee Response.
In Khartoum, COOPI is implementing WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene), Shelter and DRR programming, specifically in the Open Areas in Khartoum state. As such, COOPI is looking for a qualified and competent Civil Engineer to carry out the assigned activities in the sector.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical expertise for WASH, Shelter, and Livelihood programming in Khartoum
- Participate in needs assessment and reviews at community level to determine interventions that are required, particularly related to shelter solutions
- Oversee and supervise efficiently controlling the quality of technical works during design and construction of household-level and community facilities, including emergency and durable shelter solutions, latrine construction and the construction and rehabilitation of public facilities;
- Contribute to the drafting of ToR, guidelines, agenda and other strategic documents related to WASH, Shelter and DRR activities (with a specific focus on Shelter), including:
- Rehabilitation of shelter through voucher and cash support
- Rehabilitation and construction of public spaces
- Rehabilitation and construction of water supplies, including boreholes and water yards
- Establishment of community latrines
- Provide information to Project Manager and Head of Programmes to verify that contractors, suppliers and works are consistent with the project technical specifications and inform promptly of eventual deviations;
- Contribute to the drafting of Technical Agreements and MOUs
- Actively participate in proposal development
2. Implementation, Monitoring, and Reporting
- Develop all the project works (design plans, working drawings, technical specifications, bills of quantities, work plans, reports and field mission requests) and share in time with the PM
- Regularly monitor and follow up on the project’s activities in the field locations, including site supervision of constructions and rehabilitation in accordance to COOPI standards
- Supervise the works of contractors in their execution of signed contracts
- Follow up progress and take timely action to prevent delays and/or cost overruns;
- Support the M&E officer in the monitoring and evaluation of project activities including baseline and endline surveys, pre and post surveys, lessons learned, needs assessments and evaluations
- Investigate and report on any possible problems, suspicions of harm, including PSEA, and/or conflicts during the execution of project activities
3. Community Engagement and Accountability
- Mobilize communities and community leaders to participate in COOPI projects in community activities and organize regular community meetings to address areas for program improvement;
- Ensure that stakeholders are sensitized on program accountability and have information on beneficiary feedback mechanism;
- Lead capacity building activities for the community members, including C4W for construction and rehabilitation activities
- Ensure gender and disability mainstreaming in all WASH, Shelter and Livelihood activities, with special attention to those who are marginalized and overlooked in community decision making aspects are adequately considered during the planning and implementation process
4. Coordination and representation
- Participate in meetings with communities, CSOs/CBOs, and local authorities, including the locality and other government stakeholders, when needed and agreed with the project manager/assistant project manager
- Represent COOPI at meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings organized by the partners or state at community and state level
- Attend donor and field visits as required
- The staff member may be asked to perform duties and tasks not covered in this job description as well as to provide support to other functional units when requested and necessary
- Master’s degree level or equivalent/higher degree in civil engineering, or related field; additional qualification specifically in Shelter solutions (emergency, transitional and durable solutions) in emergency contexts is preferred.
- At least five years of relevant professional work experience.
- Previous experience in carrying out assessments and surveys
- Previous experience working with contractors
- Previous experience in community engagement and capacity building, especially on WASH, Sustainability, Accountability
- Strong computer literacy (excel, word), organizational, planning, and report writing skills
- Experience in the INGO/NGO and humanitarian context is preferred
- Good interpersonal relationships
- Respect to culture, belief of diverse ethnic communities;
- Excellent at working in a team as well as independently
- Understanding of humanitarian principles and values, including SPHERE
- Proficiency in Arabic and English
COOPI aims to contribute to the process of fighting poverty and developing the communities, intervening in situations of emergency, reconstruction and development, in order to achieve a better balance between developed areas and deprived or developing areas.
Via F. De Lemene 50, 20151 Milan
Ph. +39.02 3085057
Fax +39.02 33403570
For jobs from Cooperazione Internazionale in Sudan visit: COOPI Jobs Page
How To Apply
Interested applicants can submit their application online or in a sealed envelope at the Labour Office, properly marked “Civil Engineer – COOPI”. Any inquiry can also be addressed to COOPI’s office in Khartoum. Amarat, Street 13, East of French Embassy, Khartoum, Sudan or by email at [email protected] Your application should contain:
- Cover/Application Letter
- Updated Curriculum Vitae,
- Copy of Residence ID
NB: Only short-listed candidates who meet the requirements will be contacted. Women and people with physical disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.