Driver – DRC
|Organization||Danish Refugee Council (DRC)|
|Contract type:||National contract|
Band: J – Non Manager
Reporting to: Supply Chain Manager
Technical line manager: Supply Chain Officer
Starting date: March 2022 depending on available funds
Unit/department: Supply Chain
Location: Khartoum and any other area of implementation according to DRC’s Sudan program activities
DRC (Danish Refugee Council), founded in Denmark in 1956, is Denmark’s largest and the world’s leading non-profit, independent, rights-based refugee organization.
Our vision is to assist refugees, internally displaced people and their host communities to a dignified life. We protect lives and human rights and empower beneficiaries throughout conflict displacement by providing shelter, food, and hope in terms of work, education and integration towards a sustainable future.
Overall purpose of the role:
The driver is expected to represent Danish Refugee Council (DRC) Sudan in a respectful and professional manner and always act in accordance with DRC Code of Conduct. The driver makes all journeys in accordance with established schedules.
• Drive DRC staff and assets/equipment in a safe and reliable manner
• Maintain the safety and good running condition of DRC vehicle being used
- Responsible for any vehicle he/she is driving, transporting authorized DRC personnel on official duty and cargo to the points of destination. This includes collecting materials from projects and suppliers
- Pick and drop the assigned users of vehicle
- Drive safely the passengers, keeping in mind the security of passengers and belongings
- Assist passengers to load and unload personal or official belongings
- Fill out all related fleet documentation including the vehicle logbook and ensure passenger signature for every trip
- Ensure the car is always have appropriate fuel levels and to refuel when necessary
- Responsible for the designated vehicles being representative and clean (interior as well as exterior) at all times
- Perform general check up on the cars (engine oil, brake oil, tire pressure, wiper fluid, radiator fluid, etc.) to make sure the car is road worthy in the morning
- Ensure all vehicle’s equipment and tools are clean and in place
- Physical inspection of all DRC-rented vehicles upon request by fleet manager
- Provide assistance in all procurement and supply requisitions of office and project equipment, supplies, materials, and furniture as tasked by Supervisor
- Other relevant task given by the supervisor
- Pick-up or delivery goods to or from the site
- Implement duties in line with the DRC Code of Conduct and represent DRC in a good way
- Respect of national driving laws
- Understands and follows all traffic rules, local speed limits and traffic regulations.
- Ensures that non- DRC staff, needing to travel in DRC vehicles have authorization from the appropriate person.
- Report technical problems and breakdowns to Logistics Assistant
Experience and technical competencies:
- More than 3 years professional experience / More than 7 year owning of valid Sudanese driving license
- Proven driving experience in a similar position
- Knowledge of local area
- Technical expertise in basic vehicle repairs
- Punctuality and respect for rules and procedures
- Must be able to maintain high level of confidentiality regarding work-related information and data
- Knowledge of logistics and procurement
- Fluency in local language
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
• Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
• Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
• Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
• Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
• Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
• Valid Sudanese driving license for at least 7 years
- Good knowledge of the geographically assigned environment
- Basic mechanical skills
- Team spirit, flexibility & adaptability
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Arabic – fluent
- English – Intermediate
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!