Finance Specialist (Gedaref) – DRC
|Organization||Danish Refugee Council (DRC)|
|Workplace:||Country Office-based Gadaref|
|Contract type:||National contract|
DRC has been present in Sudan since 2004, delivering life-saving programming in protection, emergency response, shelter, food security and livelihoods, disaster risk reduction, camp management, and humanitarian mine action. DRC has implemented projects in Central Darfur, South Darfur, South Kordofan, Gedaref, Kassala, and Khartoum states. Sudan hosts one of the largest displaced populations in Africa, with over 3.7 million internally displaced people and over 1.1 million refugees from South Sudan, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Central African Republic, Chad, Yemen and Syria. Against a background of political crisis, Sudan faces economic and social turmoil, with sharp increases in food and energy costs, further exacerbated by disease outbreaks and ongoing conflict.
The overall purpose of the role
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly self-driven candidate to provide specialized knowledge and operational know-how on financial matters, and acts as “Technical focal person” to finance and program staffs. In addition, he/she will support the preparation and consolidation of Budgets, serve as a Finance Manager in his absence.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Financial Management & Accounting
- Coordinating with Field office finance staffs to ensure that all month end closure processes are completed
- Coordinating with Field FOs to ensure that all costs are booked eg cashbooks completed on time, Dynamics reconciliations are done on time.
- In charge of reviewing field office cashbooks to ensure quality in regard to cost categories, and all other financial dimensions
- Support on tracking ledger settlements in Dynamics and ensure proper tracking
- In close cooperation with Managers in geographical area reinforce existing procedures and systems for financial management and control in compliance with guidelines of DRC’s Operations Handbook, internal guidelines and donor requirements.
- Coordinate with Field FOs to ensure compliance with relevant country statutory and other financial obligations such as tax, levies and statutory returns.
- Follow up on funds request, cash forecasts from all field offices and departments as well has being main liaison with the bank
- In charge of payment tracking
- Ensuring that all Fields office comply with CO month end closure tasks including scanning, filing and proper archiving of all payments
- Roving and gap filling for field finance officers whenever there is need
- Support with Audits
- In charge of rebookings
- Any other tasks as assigned by the supervisor
- Supervising Finance officer and assistant
- Check on the completeness, accuracy and validity of information regarding payment documents during partner field support visi
Minimum Qualification, Skills and Experience Required:
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
DRC Dynamics ERP system
- At least three year’s work experience in field of financial management/accounting/book keeping in an NGO or the UN sector.
- University degree in Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration
- Proven experience in working with consortia led projects and managing large budgets
- Proven experience in working with INGOs/ National partners, local/government authorities
- Hands-on experience/skills in MS Excel (experience in working with formulas).
- Working experience in preparation of Donor reporting for Danida/SIDA/USAID/EU/UN guidelines will be an advantage.
- Ability to prepare basic training modules on accounting management and conduct on the job trainings.
- Ability to prepare donor budgets for consortia led projects will be an advantage.
DRC experience in finance system is preferred.
- Ensure DRC Dynamics is used to its full capacity.
NB: The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
Education background: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
University degree in Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Contract length: 12 months
Salary range: 1762-1907 USD
Location: Country Office Gadaref
Expected Start date: As soon as possible
Note: Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply:
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note.
Applications Closing Date: 17/9/2023