MEAL Officer (Surveys and assessments) (Gadraif) – DRC
|Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
DRC has been present in Sudan since 2004, delivering life-saving programming in protection, emergency response, shelter, food security and livelihoods, disaster risk reduction, camp management, and humanitarian mine action. DRC has implemented projects in Central Darfur, South Darfur, South Kordofan, Gedaref, Kassala, and Khartoum states. Sudan hosts one of the largest displaced populations in Africa, with over 3.7 million internally displaced people and over 1.1 million refugees from South Sudan, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Central African Republic, Chad, Yemen and Syria. Against a background of political crisis, Sudan faces economic and social turmoil, with sharp increases in food and energy costs, further exacerbated by disease outbreaks and ongoing conflict.
The overall purpose of the role
Conduct monitoring activities, design and plan field assessments, communicate information, gather data from the field, and follow up on activities in order to get feedback on the quality and relevance of the assistance. Analyze data and write reports This position primarily centers on survey and assessment responsibilities.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
Monitoring and evaluation
- Design, plan, and conduct field assessments.
- Ensure high-quality data collection, data entry, and upload as well as conduct analysis of information
- Support participatory monitoring activities with DRC beneficiaries using a varied suite of tools
- Ensure timely reporting on monitoring activities in line with work plans and project timeline
- Conduct comprehensive baseline PDMs and end-line assessments
- Design data collection tools and upload them to ONA or other electronic data capture applications.
- Based on the project proposals, implementation plan, and donor reporting requirements, support the MEAL manager in the development and implementation of a system for capturing and documenting data and relevant information on project activities, beneficiaries, outputs, outcomes, and impacts
- Ensure an effective roll-out of MEAL collection and reporting systems at the base level through training, site visits, manuals, and other technical support as needed
- Conduct training for base project staff on MEAL in line with identified capacity needs and provide ongoing mentoring support in consultation with the MEAL Manager.
- Work with the various project teams to ensure that all information and data are collected, documented, and collated in an accurate and timely manner
- Contribute to regular reviews of the MEAL system itself, making improvements as needed and recommended, in consultation with technical managers, MEAL Manage, staff, and partners.
Reporting and information
- Produce periodic monitoring reports to ensure programs have accurate and useful data to inform project development.
- Submit weekly and monthly reports to the MEAL TL on achievements and challenges related to monitoring
- Protection cases identified and referred in coordination with the protection team
- Participate in distribution and post-distribution assessment exercises.
- Undertake the review of means of verification in the field location.
- Support the creation of a system for ensuring that information obtained is also shared with communities, women, and other stakeholders through a regular feedback mechanism
- Ensure beneficiary accountability mechanism is logging and addressing complaints in a timely fashion. Ensure program managers are aware of delays in acting on any complaints or information requests
- Training beneficiaries, community stakeholders, and program participants on the DRC complaint response mechanism to promote downward accountability.
- Ensure that the activities are compliant with DRC accountability principles.
- Support the implementation of DRC’s complaints mechanism.
- Support month accountability report writing.
- Update the feedback registry and support the production of the monthly report
- Support the MEAL and program managers in strengthening DRC’s program quality, standards, and learning, and enforcing DRC’s accountability and MEAL frameworks.
- Support translation of MEAL material into Arabic (where required)
- Support meeting Arabic translation (where required)
Minimum Qualification, Skills, and Experience Required:
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 2 years of direct experience in monitoring and evaluation
- Training in quantitative methodologies, including database management.
- Strong analytical skills and an understanding of a range of methods for monitoring, evaluation, and assessment to promote evidence-based learning.
- Demonstrated ability and understanding to design, commission, and manage assessment methodologies and techniques such as focus group discussions, key informant interviews, and observations to name a few.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to analyze data and summarize it for a range of different audiences.
- Excellent skills in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience with qualitative research techniques
- Advanced English proficiency
Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics, Economics, Social Science, or relevant equivalent disciplines (development or social research preferably with a focus on monitoring and evaluation) or equivalent professional qualification
languages: (indicate fluency level)
Advanced English proficiency
Fluency in Arabic and local languages
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Contract length: 6 months
Salary range: 1,026- 1,528 USD
Location: Gadarif State
Expected Start date: As soon as possible
Note: Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply:
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note.
Applications Closing Date: 06/11/2023