MEAL Officer (Um Dukhun) – DRC
|Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
The overall purpose of the role:
Conduct monitoring activities, communicate information, gather data from the field, and follow up on activities in order to get feedback on the quality and relevance of the assistance. Analyze data and write reports. This role has a base focus and ensures compliance with DRC procedures and measurement guidelines. The role contributes to the development and advancement of MEAL strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks.
Monitoring and evaluation
- Ensure an effective roll-out of MEAL data collection and reporting systems at the base level through training, site visits, manuals, and other technical support as needed
- Ensure up-to-date high-quality data and upload into the monitoring systems
- Conduct comprehensive baselines, PDMs and end-line assessments
- Ensure timely reporting on monitoring activities in line with work plans and project timeline
- Support participatory monitoring activities with DRC beneficiaries using a varied suite of tools
- Design data collection tools and upload them to ONA or other electronic data capture applications.
- Based on the project proposals, implementation plan, and donor reporting requirements, support the MEAL manager in the development and implementation of a system for capturing and documenting data and relevant information on project activities, beneficiaries, outputs, outcomes, and impact
- Conduct training for staff and data collectors in data gathering in line with identified capacity needs and provide ongoing mentoring support in consultation with the MEAL Manager.
- Work with the various project teams to ensure that all information and data are collected, documented, and collated in an accurate and timely manner
- Contribute to regular reviews of the MEAL system itself, making improvements as needed and recommended, in consultation with technical managers, MEAL Manage, staff, and partners.
Reporting and information
- Produce periodic monitoring reports to ensure programs have accurate and useful data to inform project development.
- Submit weekly and monthly reports to the MEAL TL on achievements and challenges related to monitoring
- Protection cases identified and referred in coordination with the protection team
- Participate in distribution and post-distribution assessment exercises.
- Undertake the review of means of verification in the field location.
- Support the creation of a system for ensuring that information obtained is also shared with communities, women, and other stakeholders through a regular feedback mechanism
- Ensure beneficiary accountability mechanism is logging and addressing complaints in a timely fashion. Ensure program managers are aware of delays in acting on any complaints or information requests
- Training beneficiaries, community stakeholders, and program participants on the DRC complaint response mechanism to promote downward accountability.
- Ensure that the activities are compliant with DRC accountability principles.
- Support the implementation of DRC’s complaints mechanism.
- Support month accountability report writing.
- Update the feedback registry and support the production of the monthly report
- Support the MEAL and program managers in strengthening DRC’s program quality, standards, and learning, and enforcing DRC’s accountability and MEAL frameworks.
- Support translation of MEAL material into Arabic (where required)
- Support meeting Arabic translation (where required)
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 2 years of direct experience in monitoring and evaluation
- Training in quantitative methodologies, including database management.
- Strong analytical skills and an understanding of a range of methods for monitoring, evaluation, and assessment to promote evidence-based learning.
- Demonstrated ability and understanding to design, commission, and manage assessment methodologies and techniques such as focus group discussions, key informant interviews, and observations to name a few.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to analyze data and summarize it for a range of different audiences.
- Excellent skills in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience with qualitative research techniques
- Advanced English proficiency
- Fluency in Arabic and local languages
Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics, Economics, Social Science, or relevant equivalent disciplines (development or social research preferably with a focus on monitoring and evaluation) or equivalent professional qualification
Advanced English proficiency
Fluency in Arabic and local languages
Key stakeholders: PM Manager, Area Manager, Base Managers, MEAL Manager, Government and program beneficiaries in project locations.
|Striving for excellence
|Taking the lead
¨Basic: I master the essentials, but may at times need help from others
¨Advanced: I can work independently at full professional level.
¨Expert: I am the go-to person when others need help.