Protection Manager (Kadugli) – DRC
|Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
|Kadugli, SOUTH KORDOFAN
DRC is a private, independent, non-profit organization (NGO), devoted, on the basis of humanitarian principles to securing the Protection of refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs), and to promoting long-term solutions to the problems of forced displacement. DRC works in the context of conflict-induced displacement of populations and in return and reintegration situations
About the job
The Protection Manager has the overall accountability for the implementation, quality, and coordination of DRC Sudan Protection activities in South Kordofan State. This position directly line manages Protection field teams reporting to the Area Manager. Protection activities in Sudan are focused on: individual protection assistance and case management, GBV, community-based protection, child protection and increasing community cohesion. Protection is mainstreamed throughout all other programme areas (FSL and HMA) and is a key component in programme design.
Project Management and Implementation:
- Oversee the implementation of all Protection programming, including programme quality and budget management across all field sites;
- Undertake regular on-site visits to monitor the quality of activity implementation at the village-level and provide technical advice to field project staff as necessary;
- Ensure the relevance and implementation of technically-sound beneficiary selection criteria and approaches;
- Support DRC offices in strengthening information management, including standardized databases for protection and planning purposes;
- Support donor reporting by providing accurate and timely input on protection activities.
- Develop protocols and guidelines for protection activities and mainstreaming and train/coach staff to understand and implement, including strong integration and cooperation, in particular with the FSL and HMA team.
- Participate in the staff recruitment process, new staff on-boarding and induction process, capacity building, and performance appraisal of Protection staff.
Programme Development and Quality
- With support from Protection Coordinator to build up and roll out a plan for creating, improving and fostering skills and capacities of Protection Team in South Kordofan. In particular for competencies directly related to delivery of quality results: such us Case Management, IPA, Protection Monitoring, etc. The Staff capacitation plan shall be structured and formalized, including individual capacity assessment (both pre and post training), milestones, priorities, etc.
- With support of Protection Coordinator develop the strategic protection framework, DRC’s Protection Strategy in South Kordofan and provide technical assistance to roll it out
- Identify gaps and opportunities for further programming, support needs assessments and gap analyses, and contribute to proposals and other programme development initiatives.
- Ensure that a protection risk analysis is in place and constantly updated in the area of responsibility.
Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning
- Monitor protection risks and needs in project sites on a regular basis in alignment with project requirements.
- Collaborate with MEAL team to ensure monitoring activities are mainstreamed with protection and ensure protection of vulnerable groups while gathering appropriate and accurate data on protection outcomes;
- Develop internal learning and appropriate program adjustments due to new opportunities/challenges
- Lead the development of Protection assessments, with support from the Grants and MEAL Manager;
- Work closely with team to support the development of accountability activities, ensuring compliance with CHS.
Finance, Procurement and Administration
- Accountability for the management of Protection programme budgets (budget holder), with support from the Finance Manager and Head of Support Services;
- Ensure Protection Team raises Purchase Requests (PRs) in a timely manner, in-line with DRC standards, and follow-up procurement processed with the Supply Chain Manager;
- Ensure HR policies are followed, including completion of regular Performance Management Meetings, with all Protection staff;
- Ensure familiarity with DRC’s Operational Handbook;
- Proactively seek training from the Support Services Department on operational policies and processes for Protection team should gaps in understanding be apparent.
Coordination & Representation:
- Support Area Manager and Head of Programme in identifying partnership opportunities and liaising with local partners concerning protection activities and implementation;
- In consultation with the Area Manager coordinate with national, local and international actors and participate in working groups and other sector meetings on protection related issues;
Stay abreast of developments in the protection environment in Sudan and provide timely analysis on key issues on a regular basis.
Minimum Qualification, Skills, and Experience Required:
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- At least 4 years of proven national or international experience in field-based protection in a range of settings
- Detailed understanding of humanitarian and protection principles and their application, including community safety and rights-based approaches
- Knowledge of protection standards and guidelines
- Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational, and prioritization skills
- Demonstrated experience and ability to professionally and appropriately represent the organization and negotiate and defend DRC’s interests with a diverse range of government officials, local organizations and other groups.
- Skills in Project Cycle Management and sound project management skills, including creating work plans, budgeting and delegation of responsibilities: sets clear milestones, organizes work and monitors progress in a dynamic and quick paced environment
- Ability to work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense and fluid environment: Cultural sensitivity and respectful of local contexts
- Proven experience in providing technical guidance and training including development of training materials
Effectively engages and communicates with communities in a responsible manner and is aware of AAP principles
Education background: (include certificates, licenses, etc.)
University degree or higher education in law, social sciences, or related field or equivalent work experience;
languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Fluency in written and Spoken Arabic.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Contract length: 6 months
Level: F2 -Management
Salary range: 2,425 -2,730 USD
Location: South Kordofan State
Expected Start date: As soon as possible
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note.
Applications Closing Date: 26/11/2023