Safety Officer – Liaison (Field offices) (Gadraif) – DRC
|Organization||Danish Refugee Council (DRC)|
|Contract type:||National contract|
DRC has been present in Sudan since 2004, delivering life-saving programming in protection, emergency response, shelter, food security and livelihoods, disaster risk reduction, camp management, and humanitarian mine action. DRC has implemented projects in Central Darfur, South Darfur, South Kordofan, Gedaref, Kassala, and Khartoum states. Sudan hosts one of the largest displaced populations in Africa, with over 3.7 million internally displaced people and over 1.1 million refugees from South Sudan, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Central African Republic, Chad, Yemen and Syria. Against a background of political crisis, Sudan faces economic and social turmoil, with sharp increases in food and energy costs, further exacerbated by disease outbreaks and ongoing conflict.
About the job
To assist in managing safety and liaison activities in the Duty Station office and programme locations. This includes compliance and adherence to DRC global Safety manual.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Assist the Safety Manager/HoS with the implementation of regional safety policies, safety rules, and standard operating procedures (SOPs) related to the safe implementation of program activities.
- Track access and operations and monitoring of staff filed movements to/from duty station.
- Collect, verify, analyze, and submit timely and regular reports on issues that affect, or may affect DRC/HDP operations.
- Support/Coordinate with Safety focal points in other duty stations for on various Safety functions, e.g., Staff movement, Safety assessment, deconfliction, document of incidents and analysis and reporting
- Monitor the evolving situation in DRC operations in area of responsibility in coordination with other actors as per regional, country, and program guidelines.
- Establish a network of contacts with relevant government offices, including HAC, and other government offices as needed and I coordination with BM, AM and other programme leads.
- Provide operational safety briefings and orientation to all new and visiting staff in area of responsibility.
- Assist in training on safety procedures, security awareness, conducting PAST in coordination with SM/HoS, access and counter-surveillance; mission planning, and fire safety (as required) for field offices staff in area of responsibility.
- Assist in the management of safety incidents and crisis, provide timely and accurate incident reports and analysis, including analysis of organizational lessons learned.
- Monitoring and supervision (as required) of security guards, watchmen, and drivers where it relates to compliance of safety measures, local safety rules, and standard operating procedures.
- Supervise the implementation of physical and asset protection protocols and regulations.
- Ensure that appropriate access controls are in place for all DRC facilities.
- Assist in regular Security Risk Assessments (SRAs), including regular review of Safety Level System (SLS) and Minimum Operating Safety Standards (MOSS) as per DRC policy in coordination with the Safety Manager/HoS
- Advise and assist the procurement and issue of safety equipment.
- Track safety-related incidents and developments and provide trend/pattern analysis.
- Conduct regular field site assessments and advise on mitigation measures.
- Carry out other activities as requested by BM/AM, and Safety Manager/HoS
- Establish a network of contacts with relevant government offices, including HAC, and other government offices as needed and I coordinate with BM, AM, and other programme leads.
- Assist the liaison Team Leader to get the TA (Technical Agreement) signed at the field level before moving it to HAC – HQ.
- Arrange for different meetings with government stakeholders as necessary.
With regard to safety policy, DRC has a dual-line reporting structure. The Safety Officer will report administratively to Base Manager or Area Manager as needed, and for technical and information matters and tasking, to the Safety Manager. The dual reporting structure is designed to eliminate any delays and to promote transparency in the reporting process.
Submit daily updates as needed to line manager about safety operation status within area of responsibility.
Minimum Qualification, Skills, and Experience Required:
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- 2-3 years of experience in security, preferably in the military or police context or related field of work.
- Prior experience with the UN System or an International NGO is highly desirable.
Education background: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- A university degree in a discipline related to security management, international studies, or military/police studies.
- Diploma or equal of public relations.
languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Fluent in both written and speaking English – highly preferable
- Fluent in Arabic – obligatory
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Contract length: 6 months
Salary range: 1,026- 1,156 USD
Location: Gadaref State
Expected Start date: As soon as possible
Note: Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply:
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note.
Applications Closing Date: 27/11/2023