Senior Database Assistant (Al Jazirah) – IOM
|Organization||International Organization for Migration|
|Position Title||Senior Database Assistant|
|Duty Station||Al Jazirah, Sudan|
|Classification||One-year fixed term with the possibility of extension|
|Type of Appointment||One-year fixed term with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||As soon as possible|
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Programme Coordinator, and, in collaboration with relevant units in DTM – including the Reporting Unit, the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Unit, the Information Management (IM) Unit, and the Operations Team, the Senior Database Assistant will be responsible and accountable for providing specialized support to the design and implementation of information management systems.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Design solutions to integrate, centralize and automate data and information management within the program for enhanced achievement of displacement related data.
2. Identify, develop, implement, test, and support technology solutions for Information Management and database system for DTM department.
3. Develop data collection tools using but not limited to, the KOBO set of tools.
4. Design and develop SQL databases, queries, functions, scripts, and stored procedures to process data.
5. Provide technical support to the emergency tracking component and develop the required data collections and database applications.
6. Ensure the effective use of the designated information system, including DTM portal and application tools, and other databases to manage the implementation of information management mechanism.
7. Assist in the supervision of data management activities including the collection, submission, quality control and data retrieval mechanisms.
8. Ensure timely preparation and generation of local level information products, and support information sharing and dissemination to all relevant channels.
9. Support the research and analysis team in processing, querying, and reporting data.
10. Prepare and develop analytical tools and reports for displacement trends, needs assessments and programme activities using the program’s various databases.
11. Develop and implement proper backup / restore, data validation and security procedures to ensure data integrity and availability.
12. Support in designing reports and other products using graphic design tools and with other data as per required standards.
13. Conduct data validation and cross-checking activities to improve the quality of produced data.
14. Provide user support and system training to the staff on Kobo or any other data collection applications.
15. Support in designing reports and other products using graphic design tools such as Power BI and Tableau.
16. Visit field offices to provide technical support to the usage of information and database systems.
17. Perform such other duties as may be required.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Data Management, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in data/information management, preferably in the humanitarian sector.
- Experience with International Organizations, INGO or LNGOs is an advantage.
- Experience writing technical requirements documents, translating/planning specifications to technical briefs for data capture/analysis, and compiling diverse datasets.
- Experience in the development and implementation of population databases.
- Experience in relevant issues such as migration, displacement, and humanitarian assistance would be an asset.
- Work experience in or knowledge of the Central Asia region would be an asset.
- Experience in statistical analysis (STATA, SPSS, etc.) is a distinct advantage.
For all applicants, fluency in English and Arabic is required (oral and written).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these values:
Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
Integrity and transparency maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected, and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators – level 2
Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
Accountability: takes ownership of achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
IOM has zero tolerance with discrimination and does not discriminate to HIV/AIDS status.
This position is open to ONLY Sudanese nationals.
Vacancy close at 23:59 local time Khartoum, Sudan on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their Resume via email: [email protected], by November 19, 2023, at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.