Senior Database Assistant (Port Sudan) – IOM
|Organization||International Organization for Migration|
|Position Title||Senior Database Assistant|
|Duty Station||Port Sudan, Sudan|
|Type of Appointment||One-year fixed term with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||As soon as possible|
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Programme Coordinator, and, in collaboration with relevant units in DTM – including the Reporting Unit, the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Unit, the Information Management (IM) Unit, and the Operations Team, the Senior Database Assistant will be responsible and accountable for providing specialized support to the design and implementation of information management systems.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Supervise and manage the Database and Data Entry Assistants in the DTM Unit
2. Lead the supervision of data management activities including the collection, submission, storing, quality control and data retrieval mechanisms, encoding and transferring data to Geneva.
3. Ensure implementation of proper mechanisms for data gathering and information management across all activities to ensure accurate and reliable data is collected, stored, and submitted in a timely manner.
4. Responsible for developing SQL databases, queries, functions, scripts and stored procedures, data collection tools and/or data entry tools using but not limited to the Open Data Kit (ODK) set of tools.
5. Prepare and develop analytical tools and reports for displacement trends, needs assessments and programme activities using the programme’s various databases.
6. Identify, develop, implement, test, and support technology solutions for Information Management and database system for DTM department.
7. Represent DTM Unit as needed in relevant external meetings, such as the IMWG, and assist the unit in replying to various data queries from partners.
8. Supervise and lead the development of data collection tools using but not limited to the Open Data Kit (ODK) set of tools.
9. In close coordination with GIS team in IMU to support in the development of a geographical information system (GIS) system to produce database-related maps.
10. Provide user support, guidelines, training materials, and training sessions on the deployment, use, operation, and maintenance of databases and data collection systems to government authorities, programme staff, and implementing partners.
11. Develop and implement proper backup, restore, data validation, and security procedures to ensure data integrity and availability.
12. Ensure the effective use of the designated information system, including DTM portal and application tools, and other databases to manage the implementation of information management mechanism.
13. Secure consistent availability of computer services. Support maintenance of and training on all technologies used for information database systems.
14. Ensure that the implementation of the information management systems and applications adhere to Information Technology and Communication (ITC) Policies and Standards.
15. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Data Management, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience.
Experience in data/information management, preferably in the humanitarian sector.
Experience with International Organizations, INGO or LNGOs is an advantage.
Experience writing technical requirements documents, translating/planning specifications to technical briefs for data capture/analysis, and compiling diverse datasets.
Experience in the development and implementation of population databases.
Experience in relevant issues such as migration, displacement, and humanitarian assistance would be an asset.
Work experience in or knowledge of the Central Asia region would be an asset.
Experience in statistical analysis (STATA, SPSS, etc.) is a distinct advantage.
For all applicants, fluency in English and Arabic is required (oral and written).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these values:
Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
Integrity and transparency maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected, and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators – level 2
Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
Accountability: takes ownership of achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
MANAGERIAL COMPETENCIES – Behavioral indicators – Level 2
Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example, and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
IOM has zero tolerance with discrimination and does not discriminate to HIV/AIDS status.
This position is open to ONLY Sudanese nationals.
Vacancy close at 23:59 local time Khartoum, Sudan on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their Resume via email: [email protected], by November 19, 2023, at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.