Driver (Kosti) – NRC
|Organization||The Norwegian Refugee Council|
|Apply Before||25/09/2023 09:14 AM|
|Job Schedule||Full time|
P.S: Please ensure that you fill in all details before submitting your application on NRC people (Oracle HR). Empty and incomplete applications will not be considered.
NRC resumed operations in Sudan in 2020, providing humanitarian assistance, protection, and durable solutions. Our country programme integrates all of NRC’s six core competencies (camp management, education, ICLA, livelihoods, shelter, and WASH), and provides a rapid response capacity (including for the recent refugee emergency in eastern Sudan), and thematic capacities for cash and markets-based approaches, advocacy, digital modes of assistance, and co-leading various technical and strategic coordination platforms.
Role Specific Information
The following is a brief description of the role.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Transport NRC staff, visitors, documents and goods/materials to designated destinations when officially approved.
- Ensure the safety and security of passengers, goods and the vehicle
- Immediately report accidents, breakdowns and needs of repair and general maintenance/service
- Respect the local traffic regulations and the NRC logistical/vehicle policies at all times
- Maintain the logbook for all trips
- Maintain the vehicle in proper operating condition at all times, including keeping the vehicle clean, ensuring enough fuel, checking the technical state of the vehicle
- In liaison with the line manager, arrange for repairs and servicing
- Ensure the assigned vehicle has all the necessary documents and equipment
- Provide logistical support during trainings and workshops
- Load and offload the vehicle. Ensure the cargo is properly secured (using straps and other means)
- Provide logistical support to the office by handling small tasks when requested by Support Coordinator or Management.
- Always carry out daily checks on the vehicle before starting to drive (battery water, fuel & oil levels, radiator water, tyre pressure/tyre condition, etc.). Use NRC’s Daily Vehicle Checklist
- Ensure the vehicle meets the servicing/maintenance schedule and inform Logs Department when servicing deadline is approaching and report any faults to Logs Department when they occur
- Maintain neat & accurate records of all journeys in vehicle logbook
- Report immediately any damage or accident to the Logs Department or Support Coordinator
- Follow the correct procedures in the case of the accident, incident or complaints
- Ensure that the vehicle is used only for NRC approved purposes
- Keep and respect NRC driver rules
- Responsible for the collection, storage, transport and delivery of all goods in his/her vehicle
- Ensure every passenger wears safety belt before starting to drive the vehicle
- The driver should manage his/her time properly and report promptly to work. He/she should also ensure that he/she is adequately rested prior to long journeys
- Drivers requiring prescription glasses must wear these at all times when driving
- The driver should familiarize him with the local area and planned journey route prior to departure, particularly any security issues to be aware of.
- Perform any other tasks as requested by your Supervisor or Management.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Holder of a valid general driver’s license
- 2 years and above experience working as a Driver in either humanitarian organizations or the private sector.
- Previous experience working in complex and insecure environments
- Some knowledge of English
- Good command of Arabic language
- Driver must be from White Nile and have good knowledge of the local context
- Willingness to travel to remote areas, ability to work flexibly including weekends and willingness to work in rural locations and live in basic conditions
- Good knowledge and application of Sudan’s Road Transport & Traffic regulations
- Good knowledge of vehicle mechanics – being a driver-mechanic is a bonus
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Good Communications Skills
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply!
Email and paper applications will not be considered.
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Kosti Area Office.
NB: All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.