Finance Coordinator (Geneina) – NRC
|The Norwegian Refugee Council
|01/31/2024, 12:41 PM
|02/14/2024, 12:41 PM
The purpose of a Finance Coordinator is to implement delegated areas of responsibility.
The following is a brief description of the role.
These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work and Development plan.
- Implement NRC’s systems and procedures at area level
- Ensure adherence to NRC policies, handbooks, guidelines, and donor requirements
- Prepare and submit reports and analysis
- Ensure proper filing of all support documents
- Support line managers in procedures and require support team training
- Management of junior finance staff
- Ensure that the accounting, monitoring, and reporting are according to procedures
- Support project staff in financial matters
- Maintain budget control and monitor cash flow for the country program
- Ensure development and implementation of administrative systems and procedures
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus, and type of program intervention. This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly.
- Assist the FM and Area Support Manager in overseeing the day-to-day Financial Operations of the Country Office
- Line management of the subordinate Finance Staff in the Area and field offices within Darfur.
- To be the designated Finance bank signatory for transactions within approved limits.
- Prepare project and activity level analysis on a monthly basis to support the PMs managing their projects.
- Improve the capacity building of all Area staff in Finance.
- Conduct training for staff on NRC Financial tools. (BMT, etc.)
- Follow up on all payments.
- Managing safes and cash in Area and field offices as per NRC guidelines.
- Close coordination with Finance in the country office on all payments.
- Prepare donor’s financial reports accordingly and when needed.
- Support in developing Master budgets, and proposal budgets.
These are skills, knowledge, and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies:
• Experience working as a Finance Coordinator in a humanitarian/recovery context
• Previous experience working in complex and volatile contexts
• Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
• Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
• Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge, and experience:
• Knowledge of the context in the Sudan Context
• Knowledge of the local language (Arabic) and good command of English
• Experience with start-up, exit, or similar
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their jobs. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioral competencies, and the following are essential for this position:
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Managing performance and development
- Handling insecure environments
- Empowering and building trust
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organization helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across more than 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve the international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to, and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas, or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety, and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks.
NRC is an equal opportunities employer and aims to have staffing diversity in terms of age, gender, ethnicity, nationality, and physical ability.