Livelihood and Food Security Programme Manager (Kosti) – NRC
|The Norwegian Refugee Council
|Kosti Country Office
|01/04/2024, 01:23 PM
|01/18/2024, 01:23 PM
The purpose of the LFS PM, is to manage NRC’s Livelihood and Food Security core competency projects and teams in designated location mainly in White Nile state.
- Line management of project staff
- Contribute to the development of LFS strategy, technical standard operating procedures (SOPs) / guidelines, and Macro log frame (MLF)
- Compliance and adherence to NRC policies, LFS tools, handbooks, and guidelines.
- Responsible for the development of funding proposals, project budgets and donor reports
- Coordinate and manage LFS projects implementation (activities, budget, and project documentation) in line with proposals, strategies, and donor requirements.
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills.
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local and national stakeholders and represent NRC in relevant forums/cluster/working groups.
- Implement technical direction and ensure high technical quality of projects
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote the rights of internally displaced persons (IDPs)/returnees/refugees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Design and lead required needs assessments, baselines and evaluations related to LFS in the north, submit timely assessment/analysis reports.
- Contribute to situation analysis, identification of needs and participate actively in developing food security and livelihoods strategy documents.
- Contribute to development of LFS concept notes and proposals.
- Take steps to document lessons learnt from LFS projects to inform the design of new projects and for wider dissemination.
- Ensure sound integration of LFS activities with other sectors.
- Responsible for the development and delivery of detailed projects’ implementation plans, projects’ procurement and budget spending plans ensuring all plans are on track, flagging up anomalies and ensuring solutions are in place.
- Ensure that there is a quality partnership assessment, partnership plan and relevant technical agreements (TA), memorandum of understanding (MoU) and other support documentation and resources in place to work with the local authorities, relevant government departments and local partners.
- Ensure all staff are clear regarding project implementation modalities, plans, and strategies. This includes development and roll out of project management plans, partnership strategy and plans, advocacy plan and risks analysis.
- Lead, manage and motivate staff under direct line management, ensuring that they have clear objectives and receive meaningful feedback on their performance, ensuring that they have work and development plans and are clear regarding their responsibilities and aim of the LFS projects, as well as values/mandate of the NRC Sudan mission.
- Where possible, make frequent visits to project areas to provide technical and managerial guidance/support and identify issues that need timely action and support at different levels.
- Conduct regular project progress review including progress against objective, indicators, activities as well as budget vs actual and report to the Area manager on the project progress.
- Monitor program progress against both programmatic and budgetary targets.
- Prepare timely program and donor reports on project activities in compliance with internal NRC requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
- Manage program budget lines and ensure proper and effective use of program resources.
- Work closely with the monitoring and evaluation (M&E) team, put in place M&E plans and accountability mechanisms for all LFS projects in the north, ensuring that feedback from all relevant stakeholders is considered in the program design.
- Identify learning and training opportunities for LFS staff and partners and work as a mentor and role model for less experienced staff.
- Provide necessary technical training and develop appropriate technical guidelines and materials to NRC and partner’s staff.
Representation, coordination, and Advocacy:
- Responsible for developing and maintaining collaborative and effective partnerships with NGOs/CBOs and government partners.
- Ensure effective stakeholder participation throughout the project implementation.
- Responsible for the development of advocacy messages within projects, ensuring linkages to the overall national advocacy plan.
- In collaboration with senior program staff, assist in advocacy activities that target decision-makers at all levels.
- In collaboration with the LFS specialist and line managers, feed in learning, experiences, and evidence to relevant global advocacy objectives.
Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Project planning: LFS Specialist, LFS coordinators
- Area operations: Field office coordinators and Support Coordinators
- Staff capacity building: LFS Specialist, HR Development Officer
- Implementation: LFS Specialist
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, Development studies, Rural Development, Livelihoods, Economics, agriculture and/or related disciplines.
- Minimum 5 years of experience from working as a Project Manager in a humanitarian setting managing Livelihoods programming
- Experience in the livelihood assessments, both field data collection and analysis.
- Previous experience working in complex and volatile contexts
- Strong ability to work with diverse groups/individuals – ranging from local partners, local authorities, humanitarian community and the private sector. Proven ability in staff, donor contract & budget management
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal; as well as excellent report writing skills
Context/skills, knowledge, and experience:
- Excellent command of English – written and verbal.
- Knowledge of the context in of Sudan or similar volatile contexts
- The ability to work flexibly within a team as well as demonstrable leadership/management skills
- The ability to work operationally and strategically without losing sight of the overall objective
- Experience in managing LFS projects.
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Managing resources to optimize results