Language Assistant – UNITAMS
|Job Opening Number||UNITAMS-JO- Kadugli-2022-105|
|Job Code Title||Language Assistant|
|Organizational Unit||Office of Support to the Political Transition|
|Locations||Kadugli Regional Office|
|Number of posts||01|
Important note: UNITAMS will only accept properly completed and signed Personal History Form (P.11) received before closing date. Please submit your application on the attached P.11 ONLY. Other UN P.11 formats, incomplete P.11, CV and Resume will not be accepted, nor will late submissions after closing date.
The selected candidate will be expected to deploy in time to commence work as soon as
Applying to this job opening carries an expectation to accept the offer, if selected, subject to clearance of employment reference checks, security and medical. The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in
accordance with established rules and procedures. An impeccable record for integrity and professional ethical standards is essential.
This position is locally recruited open for Sudanese nationals only.
UNITAMS will not provide accommodation to locally recruited staff.
UNITAMS is equal employer for men and women. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The position is located in the United Nations Integrated Transition Assistance Mission in Sudan (UNITAMS). The incumbents will report to the Head of Office in Kadugli.
Within the delegated authority, the Field Language Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
• Provides clear and concise verbal communication/interpretation, interfacing between the mission’s representative and local population in support of operations and wider mission activities.
• Assists in the translation of documents from local language(s) to designated UN working language(s) and vise versa covering a broad range of subjects dealt with by the United Nations.
• Liaises with counterparts in other sections relating to scheduling and administrative arrangements.
• Drafts routine correspondence for the Supervisor in the desired language
• Assists officers with the preparation of drafts, briefing notes and background information.
• Keeps abreast of media news and briefs supervisors and colleagues of relevant contents if needed.
• Files and retrieves office documents.
• Performs other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Education: High school diploma or equivalent is required.
A minimum of three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in providing interpretation and translation services.
Languages: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English and Arabic is required and the ability to interpret/translate in these two languages. Knowledge of other local languages is desirable.
UN CORE VALUES AND COMPETENCIES
Professionalism: Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and
anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include a written assessment followed by a competency-based interview.
• Applicants must accurately complete, update, sign, and date the attached
United Nations Personal History form (P.11 ONLY and forward the duly completed signed P.11 by e-mail to:email@example.com
• Applicants should COPY – UNITAMS-JO- Kadugli -2022-105 – Language Assistant in the SUBJECT line of the email when submitting their signed P.11 form. UNITAMS will not consider any applications which are not received directly in the VA mailbox. Other UN P.11 formats and incomplete P.11 will not be accepted.
• Applicant MUST indicate the Location of preference.
• Please note that any information provided on the P.11 form will be considered binding.
• The selected candidates will be subject to a reference checks to verify the accuracy of the information provided in the P.11 form.
• Only applicants who are short-listed will receive an acknowledgement within two weeks from the deadline indicated on the VA.
Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
United Nations Considerations:
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.