Country Support Assistant – UNV
|Organization||UN OCHA Sudan’s|
|Description of the assignment title||Country Support Assistant|
|Expected start date||01/01/2023|
|Sustainable Development Goal||17. Partnerships for the goals|
|Number of assignments||1|
|Advertisement end date||22/11/2022|
Mission and objectives
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. Volunteerism is a powerful means of engaging people in tackling development challenges, and it can transform the pace and nature of development. Volunteerism benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer by strengthening trust, solidarity and reciprocity among citizens, and by purposefully creating opportunities for participation. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for recognition of volunteers, working with partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing an increasing number and diversity of volunteers, including experienced UN Volunteers, throughout the world. UNV embraces volunteerism as universal and inclusive, and recognizes volunteerism in its diversity as well as the values that sustain it: free will, commitment, engagement and solidarity.
The UNV Field Units (FU) are mainly accountable for the mobilization and placement of UN Volunteers in UN Agencies, Funds, and Programmes focused on peace, development and humanitarian needs. The UNV Field Units represent and position UNV in the respective countries and bring UNV’s services and solutions closer to its partners from governments, UN entities, civil society and private sector. Under the supervision of the Country Coordinator the Country Support Assistant provides administrative and operational assistance in UNV Field Unit of Sudan, in support of volunteer mobilization and deployment and the promotion of volunteerism in the country.
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of UNV Country Coordinator or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV Country Support Assistant will: UN Volunteer Recruitment:
• Assist in the development and finalization of Description of Assignments, and in recording them in the Unified Volunteer Platform (UVP);
• Support the deployment and assignment management of all UN Volunteer modalities;
• Support the recruitment of UN Volunteers, by: a) providing needed guidance to selected candidates in completing the recruitment formalities; b) monitoring the progress of the recruitment and ensuring proper follow-up with related counterparts: candidate, host entity (HE) and Volunteer Services Center (VSC); c) Ensuring that UNV induction session for the newly deployed UN Volunteers is provided within the first 2 weeks of assignment start; d) Providing necessary support to UN Volunteers upon arrival UNV Assignment Management:
• Assist on the logistical and travel arrangements of arriving UN Volunteers and their recognized dependents;
• Ensure necessary support is provided to UN Volunteers upon their arrival and deployment;
• Track and monitor on monthly basis the contractual status of serving UN Volunteers and ensure proper follow-up with HEs to determine proper action (extension, termination) and record these actions in the UVP;
• Support the organization of regular meetings with the serving UN Volunteers, retreat, training sessions, etc;
• Provide support to emergency cases involving UN Volunteers and recognized dependents in the country, including cases of medical evacuation, security evacuations or the death of a UN Volunteer;
• Leverage UNV Service Desk and relevant knowledge source to address enquiries from Host entities or UN Volunteers;
• Assist VSC in ensuring all conditions are met before the payment of final entitlements to UN Volunteers at the end of their assignment, including completion of checklist; Promotion of Volunteerism:
• Support the Country Coordinator in organizing and participating in promotion of volunteerism activities, including International Volunteer Day (IVD) events, UN Thematic days, regular UN Volunteers meetings, formal and informal gatherings;
• Support the Country Coordinator in advocacy and outreach activities by contributing to the production of visibility materials, collecting inputs to publish success stories highlighting UN Volunteer contributions through social media and relevant UNV website;
• Develop and maintain a database of volunteer organizations and groups in Sudan;
• Support outreach in all regions of Sudan to enrich the national pool of candidates;
• When required, act as temporary back up to the Programme Assistant;
• Perform other administrative duties as may be required. Furthermore, UN Volunteers are encouraged to integrate the UN Volunteers programme mandate within their assignment and promote voluntary action through engagement with communities in the course of their work. As such, UN Volunteers should dedicate a part of their working time to some of the following suggested activities:
• Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
• Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
• Provide annual and end of assignment self-reports on UN Volunteer actions, results and opportunities.
• Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
• Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
• Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
27 – 80
Candidate must be a national or legal resident of the country of assignment.
3 years of experience in
• Professional work experience at the national and/or international level in administration and/or programme support service;
• Experience working in the UN or other international development organization is an asset;
• Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
• Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
• Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
• Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
• Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
• Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
• Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
• Sound security awareness;
• Have affinity with or interest in volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
Area(s) of expertise
Administration, Human resources, Business management
English, Level: Fluent, Required Arabic, Level: Fluent, Required
Required education level
Bachelor degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Human resources, Public relations, or any related area;
Competencies and values
• Teamwork and respect for diversity
• Commitment to continuous learning
• Genuine commitment towards the principles of voluntary engagement.
Living conditions and remarks
As this is a national UN Volunteer assignment, the UN Volunteer will be responsible for arranging his/her own housing and other living essentials. This position is based in Khartoum, Sudan. National UN Volunteers are part of the malicious insurance plan. National UN Volunteers are expected to be culturally sensitive and adjust to the prevailing culture and traditions.
United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme that welcomes applications from qualified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, care protected characteristics. As part of their adherence to the values of UNV, all UN Volunteers commit themselves to combat any form of discrimination, and to promoting respect for human rights and individual dignity, without distinction of a person’s race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
Note on Covid-19 vaccination requirements
Selected candidates for certain occupational groups may be subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) in line with the applicable host entity policy