Building Trades Foreman – US Embassy
|Hiring Agency:||American Embassy Khartoum|
|Position Title:||Building Trades Foreman – All Interested Applicants|
|Open Period:||10/05/2021 – 10/19/2021|
|Series/Grade:||LE – 1210 6|
For More Info:
- HR Section
- [email protected]
• Open to the public
Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
• All Interested Applicants / All Sources
Security Clearance Required:
Public Trust – Background Investigation
Appointment Type Details:
Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period.
We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time (40 hours per week)
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (8 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Relocation Expenses Reimbursed:
Serves as a Building Trades Foreman, under the direction of the Residential Maintenance Supervisor. The incumbent is responsible for coordinating and supervising the work of employees engaged in the general maintenance and upkeep of the residential housing, associated buildings, grounds, swimming pools, and various equipment and furnishing. Properties include the, Government Owned (GO) properties; Chief of Mission Residence, 8 townhouses; approximately 80 short-term (STL) leased residential properties. The incumbent may also be required to support the building trade’s maintenance repair and construction requirements mission in Darfur. When required supports the Embassy composed of the Office building, Annex, General Services and Facilities Shops Areas, Marine House, and all Service and Entrance CACs and PACs. Responsible for the following trades and the related responsibilities defined as Carpentry, Painting, Masonry, Cabinet and Furniture assembly and repair, Lock repair/replacement, Glass Work, Flooring Installation with such materials as carpet tile or other material such as porcelain tile. The incumbent also performs the work of employees under his/her direction and other duties as required. The incumbent performs daily work such as preparing time and attendance reports, personnel actions such as employee appraisals, and documentation of the work assigned and completed. The incumbent provides coverage for emergency services to support both Embassy and residential operations and maintenance.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of five (5) years skilled manual experience in full journeyman: skilled plumber, carpenter, mechanic, welder and at least one (1) year of supervisory skills is required.
Must has knowledge of: Methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in building construction, maintenance, and repair work; methods used in requisitioning, receiving, checking, storing, and issuing materials and supplies; principles of effective supervision; codes, rules, regulations, safety orders and safety practices applying to the various building trades; the Department of State affirmative action program objectives; a manager’s role in the affirmative action program and the processes available to meet affirmative action objectives. Must understand the relationship between the different building trades and the order of work. Knowledge reading blue-prints, interpreting maintenance plans and technical literature required. General computer literacy is required. Knowledge of U.S. building, trade standards, construction, fire and safety codes and standard is preferred.
Completion of secondary school is required.
English: Level III (Good working knowledge, speaking, reading and writing) is required. (This may be tested)
Arabic: Level III (Good working knowledge, speaking, reading and writing) is required. (This may be tested)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability of meet and deal tactfully and courteously with fellow employees, subordinates, supervisory personnel, junior and senior Foreign Service officers, vendors and contractors.
- The incumbent must be administratively active in his/her role as a supervisor and is responsible for all administrative actions for subordinates. These duties include performance appraisals, counseling, awards, corrective action, and preparation of time and attendance records
- Ability to assign, supervise, and inspect the work of building trades journeyperson, workers, and trades helpers; read and interpret blueprints and work from plans and specifications; estimate material and labor requirements; analyze situation accurately and adopt an effective course of action; keep accurate records and prepare reports; effectively contribute to the mission on a daily basis by meeting each requirement by effective supervision and efficient use of materials.
- Must have the ability to self-plan and schedule work assignments of subordinates accordingly for best use of time. Ability to use a variety of powered, non-powered and powered hand tools, shop equipment such as table saws, sanders, grinders, paint spraying equipment, locksmith tools, and a variety of painting and wood finishing tools and equipment.
- A valid Sudanese driving license is required.
Paris calling you: OECD Internship Program In France 2021
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in (insert post and/or country name) may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference..
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
Also Check: Mandela Washington Fellowship (Traineeship) For Young African Leaders
How to Apply
All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- High School Diploma
- Other Document (Experience certificates)
- Other Document 2 (Experience certificates)
- Driver’s License
- Proof of Citizenship
Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in U.S. Mission.
About US Embassy
What does the US Embassy Do?
The primary purpose of an embassy is to assist American citizens who travel to or live in the host country. U.S. Foreign Service Officers also interview citizens of the host country who wish to travel to the United States for business, education, or tourism purposes.
U.S. Embassy, LondonEmbassy in London, England
The Embassy of the United States of America in London is the diplomatic mission of the United States in the United Kingdom. It is the largest American embassy in Western Europe and the focal point for events relating to the United States held in the United Kingdom.
Embassy of the United States, BeijingOffice in Beijing, China
The Embassy of the United States in Beijing is the diplomatic mission of the United States in China. It serves as the administrative office of the United States Ambassador to China. The embassy complex is in Chaoyang District, Beijing.