Engineering Technician (Building Automated Systems) – US Embassy
|Hiring Agency:||Embassy Khartoum|
|Position Title:||Engineering Technician (Building Automated Systems) – All Interested Applicants|
|Open Period:||02/05/2023 – 02/20/2023|
|Series/Grade:||LE – 1105 9|
|Work Schedule:||Full-time –|
For More Info:
• Open to the public
Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
• • All Interested Applicants / All Sources
Security Clearance Required:
Public Trust – Background Investigation
Appointment Type Details:
Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period.
We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply
The work schedule for this position is:
Full Time (40 hours per week)
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (8 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Relocation Expenses Reimbursed:
The Building Automated Systems Engineering Technician (BASET) will report directly to the Senior/Deputy Facility Manager and be responsible for the operation and maintenance, which may include a Reliability Centered Maintenance program (RCM), of computer and microprocessor-controlled systems located throughout the New Embassy Compound/New Consulate Compound (NEC). Serves as an expert in planning, organizing and maintaining large and complex mechanical and electrical systems and their control equipment. The incumbent is employed as a Building Automated Systems Engineering Technician (BASET) to carry out skilled analysis and diagnostic maintenance work on all major systems and critical equipment throughout the NEC buildings and grounds. Work assignments will be directed by the Senior/Deputy Facility Manager.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of five (5) years field experience in the operation and maintenance of a building automation system (BAS), including computer and microprocessor control system installation and programming. The experience may have been gained as a result of performing general maintenance on computer-controlled systems and equipment; however, at least two (2) years must have been spent in direct maintenance of BAS specific components in a similar environment in addition to three (3) years of experience with large, modern, commercial or Government office building operations and maintenance. Experience working with U.S. building, trade, construction, fire, and safety codes and standards is required.
The incumbent must have superior knowledge, exceptional technical skills, and a thorough understanding of building automation systems, their components including sensors and actuators. Must know how to make adjustments to the system and components to keep the building within the designed operating parameters. Must be able to interpret sensor readings, and fault and failure codes in order to diagnose and expedite repairs. Individual must be familiar with the operating parameters of specific building spaces and the specific systems that support each space so critical operations are not disrupted when performing maintenance and repairs.
Individual must have knowledge of local companies that can provide material or service support for the systems within his area of responsibility. Individual must have detailed technical knowledge of the control systems within his/her area of responsibility and basic knowledge of how the control systems interface with the operating systems. Incumbent knowledge base must be equipment specific; with the makes and models of the installed equipment.
Must have a good working knowledge and ability to use AutoCAD to develop and modify building drawings.
The completion of a 4-year Bachelor of Science degree, or equivalent, in Mechanical/Electrical/General Engineering or Computerized systems, control and sensor technology is required. Applicants must have proof of specialized technical training to match background requirements is required.
English: Level IV (Fluent, speaking, reading and writing) is required. (This may be tested)
Arabic: Level IV (Fluent, speaking, reading and writing) is required. (This may be tested)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- The incumbent will have strong computer skills, able to navigate through the Microsoft Office Suite software (Word, Office, Excel, Outlook, Power Point, etc.), to create the various documents including reports, spreadsheets, cost estimates, inspection logs, utility consumption charts and graphs; write e-mails and research information on the Internet. (This may be tested)
- Must be proficient in AutoCAD, able to create usable engineering drawings to assist in the operations and maintenance process, or for use in renovation projects. (This may be tested)
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and have a clean driving record. (This may be tested)
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to handle a large workload and multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Must be highly organized.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in (insert post and/or country name) may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
1. AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
2. AEFM / USEFM
3. FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply
How to Apply:
All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance
To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit U.S. Embassy, Sudan. or ERA Application Video Guide.
Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
- University Degree
- Proof of Citizenship
- Other Document (Experience certificate)
- Other Document 2 (Experience certificate)
- Passport copy
- Driver’s License
Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Sudan.