Information Resource Center Assistant – US Embassy
|Hiring Agency:||American Embassy Khartoum|
|Position Title:||Information Resource Center Assistant – All Interested Applicants|
|Open Period:||02/12/2021 – 16/12/2021|
|Series/Grade:||LE – 6010 9|
For More Info:
- HR Section
- [email protected]
• Open to the public
Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
• All Interested Applicants / All Sources
Security Clearance Required:
Public Trust – Background Investigation
Appointment Type Details:
Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period.
We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time (40 hours per week)
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (8 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Relocation Expenses Reimbursed:
In the Public Diplomacy Section (PDS), the incumbent directs and manages an Information Resource Center (IRC) of moderate scope and complexity. Either oversees the research, reference, and outreach services conducted by the IRC staff, or is solely responsible for the IRC. Plans and implements an outreach program to advance the Mission’s public affairs goals. Develops and maintains continuing personal contact with high level target audience members. Incumbent directly reports to the Public Affairs Officer (PAO).
Qualifications and Evaluations
EXPERIENCE: At least three (3) years of progressively responsible work experience in the field of information research. This includes experience in traditional research and reference services, and in the use of emerging technologies and electronic resources is required.
Good knowledge of U.S. reference and resource materials in the subject areas emphasized in the Mission ICS and of current trends and developments in U.S. and Sudanese information science and technology. Knowledge of electronic retrieval and delivery tools, in particular the Internet and standard information science practices and procedures. Research inquiries require that the incumbent have an in-depth knowledge of Sudanese and U.S. foreign affairs policies, legislative and other domestic issues of relevance to ICS themes.
University degree in library (information) science, political science, international affairs, or U.S. studies is required.
English: Level IV (Fluent, speaking, reading, and writing) is required. (This may be tested)
Arabic: Level IV (Fluent, speaking, reading, and writing) is required. (This may be tested)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent service orientation to target audience, interpersonal, and cross-cultural skills.
- Ability to carry out reference searches and respond rapidly to complex requests, often for breaking news; to work effectively with American and locally engaged staffs; to independently plan, organize, and carry out assigned responsibilities using electronic based technologies, including Internet, CD-ROM, and print resources; to maintain contact with target audience members; excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize work schedule and incoming requests.
- Ability to train, supervise and evaluate staff or to effectively inform other LES staff of IRC role and resources; ability to write reports and outreach publications.
Paris calling you: OECD Internship Program In France 2021
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in (insert post and/or country name) may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference..
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
Also Check: Mandela Washington Fellowship (Traineeship) For Young African Leaders
How to Apply
All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- University Degree
- Other Document (Experience certificates)
- Other Document 2 (Experience certificates)
- Proof of Citizenship
Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in U.S. Mission.
About US Embassy
What does the US Embassy Do?
The primary purpose of an embassy is to assist American citizens who travel to or live in the host country. U.S. Foreign Service Officers also interview citizens of the host country who wish to travel to the United States for business, education, or tourism purposes.
U.S. Embassy, LondonEmbassy in London, England
The Embassy of the United States of America in London is the diplomatic mission of the United States in the United Kingdom. It is the largest American embassy in Western Europe and the focal point for events relating to the United States held in the United Kingdom.
Embassy of the United States, BeijingOffice in Beijing, China
The Embassy of the United States in Beijing is the diplomatic mission of the United States in China. It serves as the administrative office of the United States Ambassador to China. The embassy complex is in Chaoyang District, Beijing.