Mailroom Operator – US Embassy
|Hiring Agency:||American Embassy Khartoum|
|Position Title:||Mailroom Operator – All Interested Applicants|
|Open Period:||23/12/2021 – 11/01/2022|
|Series/Grade:||LE – 0130 4|
1 Vacancy in
For More Info:
- HR Section
- [email protected]
• Open to the public
Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
For USEFM – FS is XX. Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.
• All Interested Applicants / All Sources
Security Clearance Required:
Public Trust – Background Investigation
Appointment Type Details:
Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period.
We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time (40 hours per week)
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (8 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Relocation Expenses Reimbursed:
Assists in the unclassified mail and pouch operations of the Embassy Mailroom. Extends this authorized service in a timely and accurate manner to all agencies of the USG to include, but not limited to, STATE, DLO, and USAID staff. Provides Mission-wide reproduction services. Backs up the Mailroom Supervisor when absent. While the supervision from the mailroom supervisor is general, the incumbent is directly supervised by the Information Programs Officer.
Operates the Embassy Switchboard, providing greetings and guidance to incoming callers and forwarding calls to appropriate persons or offices. Utilizes experience and knowledge of office and department activities to help ensure that proper guidance and direction may be given to visitors. Answers all inquiries related to visa and consular services and refers callers to consular officials, as necessary.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of one and one-half years of general office clerical, administrative work, or customer service experience is required.
Must have a thorough knowledge of Department of State and/or Associated Agencies mail handling instructions. Must have a good working knowledge of the Organization, functions, personnel and practices of the Mission Agency to which mail service is provided. Job holder must have a general understanding of the local/national culture in order to be able to promote a relationship between the Embassy and the local authorities/offices for example, Ministry of Foreign Affairs personnel, Post Office personnel, and other Airline and clearance agents, who are from the local cultural background. Must have knowledge of the embassy’s internal phone structure and be able to operate the embassy’s switchboards to receive, connect, and put calls on hold. Must have knowledge of interpersonal communications, phone etiquette, and local communication customs.
Completion of secondary school is required.
English: Level IV (Fluent) (This may be tested)
Arabic: Level III (Good working knowledge) (This may be tested)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be able to operate computer word processing and spreadsheet Keyboard/data entry (for maintaining a log of invoices) at standard level. (This may be tested)
- Must be able to operate a telephone switchboard, including receiving, connecting, and putting calls on hold.
- Must be able to deliver professional customer service over the phone and exercise proper judgment and accuracy when dealing with telephone calls to the embassy.
- Must be familiar general postal procedures and best practices related to incoming/outbound mail, customer services, and best practices.
- Must have the ability to supervise effectively as required, when placed in the supervisory role.
Paris calling you: OECD Internship Program In France 2021
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission in Sudan provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in (insert post and/or country name) may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference..
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
Also Check: Mandela Washington Fellowship (Traineeship) For Young African Leaders
How to Apply
All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
- High School Diploma
- Other Document (Experience Certificates)
- Other Document (Experience Certificates)
- Proof of Citizenship
- Passport copy
- Residency and/or Work Permit (If Applicable)
Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in U.S. Mission.
About US Embassy
What does the US Embassy Do?
The primary purpose of an embassy is to assist American citizens who travel to or live in the host country. U.S. Foreign Service Officers also interview citizens of the host country who wish to travel to the United States for business, education, or tourism purposes.
U.S. Embassy, LondonEmbassy in London, England
The Embassy of the United States of America in London is the diplomatic mission of the United States in the United Kingdom. It is the largest American embassy in Western Europe and the focal point for events relating to the United States held in the United Kingdom.
Embassy of the United States, BeijingOffice in Beijing, China
The Embassy of the United States in Beijing is the diplomatic mission of the United States in China. It serves as the administrative office of the United States Ambassador to China. The embassy complex is in Chaoyang District, Beijing.