Trades Helper – US Embassy
|Hiring Agency:||Embassy Khartoum|
|Position Title:||Trades Helper – All Interested Applicants|
|Open Period:||08/01/2022 – 08/15/2022|
|Series/Grade:||LE – 1210 3|
|Work Schedule:||Full-time –|
For More Info:
- HR Section
- [email protected]
• Open to the public
Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
• All Interested Applicants / All Sources
Security Clearance Required:
Public Trust – Background Investigation
Appointment Type Details:
Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period.
We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
The work schedule for this position is:
Full Time (40 hours per week)
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (8 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Relocation Expenses Reimbursed:
Under the direction of the Facilities Maintenance Supervisor, the Trades Helper will assist skilled tradesmen in the performance of duties related to electrical, plumbing, air conditioning, heating systems and other building trades at the U.S. Mission in Khartoum and Darfur. The Trades Helper is responsible for bringing tools, equipment, and materials to designated worksites and for cleaning tools, equipment, and work areas upon completion of tasks. The Trades Helper is also responsible for safely operating facility-owned tools, equipment, and vehicles. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs and work in tight spaces.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EXPERIENCE: One (1) year of experience as a laborer, janitor, or trades helper in any trade field is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Some knowledge of the practices, methods, tools, materials, and equipment of the building trades. Some knowledge of the occupational hazards of building trades and necessary safety precautions.
Completion of secondary school is required.
English: Level I (Rudimentary, speaking, reading and writing) is required. (This may be tested)
Arabic: Level II (Limited, speaking, reading and writing) is required. (This may be tested)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Good customer service and interpersonal skills are required.
- Ability to understand and follow oral instructions.
- Skill in the use and care of tools and equipment.
- Skill in the operation of motor vehicles.
- A current driver’s license, valid in Sudan, is required.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in U.S. Mission may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply
How to Apply:
All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- High School Diploma
- Other Document (Experience certificates)
- Other Document 2 (Experience certificates)
- Driver’s License
- Proof of Citizenship
Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in U.S. Mission.