Translation/Communication Specialist – UNV
|Organization||United Nations Volunteers|
|Duty Station||Khartoum (SDN)|
|Start Date||20 October 2021|
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
The Translation Specialist/Communication Associate works in close collaboration with the Strategic Planning Partnership and Communications (SPPC), programme, projects, and operations teams to provide high-quality translation services to the entire CO, as well as some communications support.
Under the direct supervision of the SPPC Coordinator, the position is responsible for the following:
A. Summary of Key Functions:
· Written translation services for UNDP Sudan Country Office.
· Oral interpretation service (Arabic-English and English-Arabic).
· General support for UNDP communications activities.
B. Written Translation services for UNDP Sudan Country Office
· Translate a wide range and variety of documents (including, but not limited to, website content, press releases, newspapers, articles, excerpts from publications, official correspondence, official documents, applicable legislation etc.) from Arabic to English and English to Arabic to ensure a finished product ready for use and dissemination, as required.
· Resolve language and translation related issues (i.e. clarification on ambiguities, technical meaning, etc) in documents, rules, regulations, etc., through consultation with authors and relevant reference material.
· Assist in matters of terminology and style to ensure uniformity and quality of documents produced by the unit.
· Work with counterpart translators within the UNDP/UN family in Sudan from time to time and submit all translated documents for final translation, checking and proof-reading as necessary.
· Liaise with Arabic translation services in the UNDP HQ and the UN HQ offices for communication, as needed.
· Proof-read the Arabic translation work of other translators on UNDP CO related documents, as needed.
· Research specific subjects, including terminological research for incorporation into the Organization’s terminology database.
C. Oral interpretation service (Arabic-English and English-Arabic) and assistance
· Interpretation – from Arabic to English and vice versa – at meetings with national interlocutors, federal and state governments, and other external partners in civil society and academia.
· Provide interpretation for key international non-Arabic CO staff.
· Other interpretation tasks as needed within project implementation.
· Attend meetings as part of a team, take notes – whether directly from statements delivered in English and Arabic or from the interpretation – and subsequently use the notes to produce draft summary records.
· Provide oral language support, interpreting and translation services for senior management at public events, as needed.
D. Planning and implementation of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach focusing on:
· Creating, promoting, and disseminating corporate advocacy materials, including for flagship initiatives and publications such as the Human Development Report.
· Supporting bespoke, multi-channel communications campaigns around key UNDP themes and activities.
· Ensuring strong understanding of UNDP’s work in the country through regular national, regional and global media contacts and the provision of newsworthy information to the media, the public, international partners and other audiences.
· Developing and implementing donor visibility campaigns and activities and supporting HQ-driven donor visibility efforts.
· Reporting on the effectiveness of communications activities and outreach, and proposing new innovations and approaches.
· Supporting “One UN” and UNDP-specific activities and programmes, including joint UN information campaigns (UN Day, World AIDS Day, etc.)
Required degree level
Bachelor degree or equivalent
Educational additional comments
- University Degree in languages, translation, marketing, communications, media or related field is desired.
- Translator/interpreter diploma from a recognized university is desirable but not a requirement.
- (4) years of progressively responsible professional experience in translation/ text editing/interpretation; demonstrated proficiency in English/Arabic. Experience in communications, marketing, advocacy and/or media is desired. Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization is required.
- Experience in instant typing while hearing an audio (English/Arabic – Arabic/English).
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills with fast learning ability. Effective organizational skills and ability to handle work in an efficient and timely manner. Ability to coordinate tasks to meet deadlines.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise
Translation and interpretation
Area of expertise details
- Marketing and advocacy
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply. * Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply. This is a national UN Volunteer assignment, therefore only nationals of Sudan and legal residents in Sudan with the status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to apply. Application deadline: 28-09-2021.
For jobs from United Nations Volunteers visit: UNV Jobs Page