Human Resources Associate (Kassala) – UNHCR
|Organization||United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees|
|Job Title||Human Resources Associate|
|Family Location Type||Non-Family|
This position is advertised open to internal and external applicants.
Duties and Qualifications
Human Resources Associate
Human Resources Associate will function under direct supervision of the (Senior) Administrative or Human Resources Officer, and will have a key role predominantly in coaching and developing HR skills of the locally recruited support staff responsible for the personnel administration and other HR related matters. He/she will assist the (Senior) Officer responsible for Administration/ Human Resources in the process of staffing and budget reviews, recruitment and appointment of staff, and in the performance management and staff welfare issues. Incumbent will have close working relationship with the staff-related services in UNHCR, such as the Personnel Administration & Payroll Section (PAPS), Talent Outreach & Acquisition Section (TOAS), Assignments & Promotion Section (APS), Performance Management Unit (PMU), Career Management Section (CMS), Staff Health & Welfare Service (SHWS) and Global Learning Centre (GLC).
- UNHCR recruits, contracts and deploys staff in the country (region) to meet its current and future operational needs, adhering to the principles of the UNHCR People Strategy.
- The workforce in the country (region) is well-informed of, understands and complies with the organisation¿s human resources policies and practices as well as with the UN/UNHCR staff rules and regulations.
- UNHCR¿s learning programmes and activities build the competencies of its workforce to meet the needs of the operation.
- UNHCR provides a healthy, safe and respectful working environment for its workforce in the country (region).
- Provide input in the preparation of the annual operations programme review submissions, and in the review of the training needs of the staff, making appropriate proposals to meet identified needs.
- Assist in the establishment of systems and procedures in support of the delegation of human resources functions to the offices in the country (region). Provide support, guidance and training to all staff performing personnel administration and other HR related functions.
- Review and provide guidance on administrative procedures related to the recruitment and reassignment of local personnel, and assignment of international staff. Participate in the pre-screening, selection panels and testing of candidates for support staff positions, and in recommending levels of appointment. Assist in compiling background documents for presentations to the respective assignments committee.
- Set up and conduct regular audit of the personnel records in the office, including individual staff official status files, attendance, overtime and leave records. Enter and update personnel related information in MSRP concerning employment status of local personnel and their applicable allowances and benefits. Check the monthly staff summary to control staff members¿ eligibility for salary payment. Prepare Payroll clearance and related personnel administration documents for the separation of staff.
- Advise and counsel staff members on their rights, obligations, benefits and entitlements in line with UN/UNHCR staff rules and regulations.
- Brief newly arrived international staff on related administrative formalities, and assist them in the completion and submission to PAPS of documents related to their reassignment as well as to their entitlements to rental subsidy, home leave, education grant etc.
- Set up daily tracking mechanism for accurate information on staff and families in case of emergency. Assist in HR related activities of the security evacuation plan, ensuring relocations/evacuations are managed and administered in line with the provisions of the UN Security Management System Policy.
- Supervise administration of UNHCR medical insurance plan for locally recruited staff. In coordination with Medical Service, assist staff and dependants in case of medical evacuation. Assist staff in the submission of the compensation claims.
- Carry out regular monitoring missions to offices in the area of responsibility to assist on human resources related tasks including coaching and training of local staff.
- Maintain liaison with the support sections and divisions at headquarters, specifically with DHRM, on matters related to the recruitment and personnel administration support, medical and other issues of staff welfare and safety.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Enforce compliance with the UN/UNHCR staff rules and regulations, as well as with the performance management system.
- Certify contracts and corresponding extensions issued in respect locally recruited staff.
- Issue Personnel Action Forms in respect of locally recruited staff in relation to their employment status and applicable allowances and benefits.
- Certify payments related to personnel issues such as settlement of travel claims, overtime claims, hazard pay, MIP reimbursements, medical and security evacuations.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Completion of secondary education with post-secondary training/certificate in Business Administration, Office Management, Human Resources Management or related field,
- 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
- Good knowledge of UNHCR administrative procedures and processes and exposure to provision of support services in an international organization. Good coaching and training skills.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language
(In offices where the working language is not English, excellent knowledge of UN working language of duty station and working knowledge of English.)
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Knowledge of UN/UNHCR field operational realities, especially in hardship duty stations.
- Field experience with UNHCR and/or with other humanitarian organizations is an asset.
- High IT affinity and working experience of PeopleSoft/MSRP HR module, as well as with MSRP Financials and Focus.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
C001L2 – Accountability Level 2
C002L2 – Teamwork & Collaboration Level 2
C003L2 – Communication Level 2
C004L2 – Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 2
C005L2 – Client & Result Orientation Level 2
C006L2 – Organizational Awareness Level 2
M002L2 – Managing Performance Level 2
M006L2 – Managing Resources Level 2
X001L2 – Analytical Thinking Level 2
X005L2 – Planning and Organizing Level 2
X009L2 – Change Capability and Adaptability Level 2
English is Essential. Arabic is desirable.
This position is subject to functional clearance.
This position is advertised under a Fast Track exercise.
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is a UN agency mandated to aid and protect refugees, forcibly displaced communities, and stateless people, and to assist in their voluntary repatriation, local integration or resettlement to a third country.
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Founder: United Nations
- Founded: December 14, 1950
What is the role of the UNHCR?
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) mandate is to lead and coordinate international action to protect refugees and to resolve the refugee problems worldwide. Its main purpose is to safeguard the rights and wellbeing of refugees.
Who created UNHCR?
For jobs from United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in Sudan visit: UNHCR Jobs Page