Technical Supervisor – British Embassy
About the FCDO’s development work in Sudan
The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) pursues UK national interests and projects the UK as a force for good in the world. We promote the interests of British citizens, safeguard the UK’s security, defend our values, reduce poverty and tackle global challenges with our international partners.
The UK is an active donor in Sudan, playing a leading role in the humanitarian response, and supporting Government with its plans for economic reform and social impact mitigation. Our bilateral development programme portfolio includes support for the humanitarian response, clean water, climate change, women’s empowerment and economic and governance reform. Sudan also benefits from FCDO’s Centrally Managed Programmes including on health, education, mine action and targeted technical assistance. Critical priorities include getting support economic reforms, supporting citizen voice to inform/ support transition and strengthening the role and profile of women who have been pivotal in driving a peaceful, constructive revolution. Darfur is one of the longest-standing humanitarian crises in the world. The UN peacekeeping force is drawing down at the end of 2020 and is being replaced by a new UN peacebuilding and political mission to support Sudan’s transition and along with the international community, is supporting the transition from peacekeeping to peacebuilding and development. Safeguarding and inclusion are key in this process.
|POSITION||Technical Supervisor (08/21 KRT)|
|salary||1,170. 21 plus USD 72.00 (Transport Allowance) per month|
|Type of Position||Full-time|
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Best English Courses offered from United States Embassy: US EMBASSY COURSES
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
The Technical Works Group Supervisor (TWGS) will take a leading role in ensuring that British Embassy owned and rented properties are compliant with FCDO standards. They are responsible for the quality and delivery of all routine maintenance, repairs and minor works projects for the British Embassy, Khartoum comprising of offices, residential accommodation, amenities and grounds. Leading a small team of directly employed artisans and contractors, the TWGS will ensure that all facilities are operated and maintained in accordance with relevant Technical, and Health & Safety standards. The TWGS will be required to take a hands-on approach, undertaking some aspects of maintenance work themselves (appropriate to their skill set), lead by example and be prepared to invest in the development of their team.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
- Provide technical quality control, oversight and acceptance of all maintenance work undertaken in BE Offices and Residential properties to ensure that works are delivered on time. All tasking to comply with Technical, and Health & Safety standards incorporated with the global Property Compliance Assessment (PCA) as per FCDO Health and Safety policy.
- Swiftly learn and understand the current UK Technical, and Health & Safety Standards and FCDO policy, and be proactive in keeping their knowledge up to date.
- Supervise and direct a small team of technicians (e.g. electricians, plumbers and general technicians) on a day to day basis ensuring that that customer Work requests and maintenance programmes are kept up to date and well documented, and that work is carried out as per UK standards & FCDO policy and in a timely manner.
- Implement long term Planned Preventative Maintenance programme for essential building services and equipment (including for water services, electrical installations, A/Cs, generators, fire protection systems, swimming pools and security lighting) using the in-house maintenance team or appropriate contractors, and maintain accurate and organised records of conducted works.
- Sourcing quotations for maintenance projects which provide value for money.
- Drafting the specifications of required materials and techniques and methods to be used by technicians and contractors in technical works.
- Assisting the UK TWS in drafting Terms of Reference on major works mainly giving technical advice to ensure scope of work is clearly specified.
- Control maintenance stock, maintaining stock levels and ensuring proper stock control procedures are in place and stock properly accounted for.
- Conduct safety checks on all tools and equipment to be used by the technical works team and report any faulty or non-compliant equipment to the UK Technical Works Supervisor so that it can be replaced.
- Carry out health and safety inductions or briefings for contractors working at BHC properties and document evidence of said briefings. To also include hazard checks and controls before works permits can be issued to contractors.
- To organise regular training sessions and tool box talks with technical staff and contractors to ensure they do work as per FCDO Standards.
- Will be required to produce staff appraisals.
- Undertaking other duties as assigned and agreed by the UK TWS line manager.
The incumbent will line manage the technical works group of 15 people which includes:
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Hold a professionally recognised qualification in either Electrical, Mechanical or Construction, Engineering with a strong emphasis on Health and Safety.
- At least 3 years works experience in a commercial or residential properties.
- Experience in the supervision and management of people employed on maintenance activities.
- Computer skills (particularly Microsoft Office suite – Outlook, Word and Excel).
- Driving skills with a valid Sudanese driving licence (applicants will be tested by BE staff as part of the selection process).
- As well as technical skills, the ability to be well organised and to communicate to UK based and Country based staff colleagues and service providers.
- Experience of implementing Health & Safety standards.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Electrical Background
- Experience of managing third party contractors
- Some experience on Estate Management
- Making Effective Decisions
- Delivering Value for Money
- Managing a Quality Service
- Delivering at Pace
Other benefits and conditions of employment
Learning and development opportunities:
- UK delivered Electrical Course.
- UK delivered Generator Course.
- PRISM/ HERA- Software on line training.
- PYRMAID- Software on line training.
- Various on line courses will be provided.
- Sunday to Wednesday 07:30 to 16:30
- Thursday 08:00 to 14:30
Be available to take emergency calls outside of normal working hours and provide emergency assistance when necessary.
- This is a full-time fixed-term position for an initial period of one year from starting date, with the possibility of extending and making permanent depending on performance.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Embassy will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Khartoum are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Sudan.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to; Obtain the relevant permit; Pay the fees for the permit; Make arrangements to relocate; Meet the costs to relocation
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates
- British Embassy will only contact successful candidates, if you do not hear from us please consider your application unsuccessful.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Country Based Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.
Best English Courses offered from United States Embassy: US EMBASSY COURSES
For jobs from British Embassy visit: British Embassy Jobs Page